March 6, 1925
1,500 witness Denfeld groundbreaking event
More than 1,200 students of Denfeld High School
marched through the streets of West Duluth on Thursday afternoon
in observance of the breaking of ground for the proposed new Denfeld
building at 44th Avenue West between Fourth and Sixth Streets.
Ground was broken by F. D. Knight, president of
the school board; James F. Taylor, principal of Denfeld; and James
A. Starkweather, assistant superintendent of Duluth schools. The
ceremonies were attended by more than 1,500 people.
As the first shovel of earth was turned, factory
and locomotive whistles were sounded as a signal of gratification
in the undertaking of West Duluth’s foremost school project.
Leading the parade was the Denfeld band, with
banners and flags. The line of march was from the school down Central
Avenue, along Grand Avenue to 45th Avenue West, and to the site
of the new building. Fifteen members of the Denfeld Girl Club carried
a large American flag.
New Auditorium Seen
Knight was the first to break ground, using a
maroon and gold spade that will be kept in the Denfeld trophy case
until the new school is built, and then will be transferred to the
new school. He expressed confidence that when the new school is
completed it will include an auditorium and other needed facilities
which lack of funds made impossible at present.
Taylor lauded the cooperation civic and fraternal
organizations of West Duluth and the West End are giving Denfeld.
Prayer was offered by Rev. W. J. Barr. Brief talks
were given by the following students, presidents of Denfeld classes:
Robert Van Kleek, senior; Howard Vangen, junior; Chester Burton,
sophomore; and Everitt Trudell, freshman.
Sophomores First New Graduates
The sophomore class will be the first to be graduated
from the new building. The present Denfeld school was built in 1914
and named for Robert E. Denfeld, who for 33 years was superintendent
of Duluth public schools. S. A. Foster was the first principal,
and the initial enrollment was 287. In 1916 S. H. Schutte became
principal. The enrollment had increased to 293 students and in 1917
In the fall of 1918 Taylor became principal. During
the same year the 7th and 8th grade boys of the Irving, Ely, Fairmont
and Longfellow schools were permitted to enter Denfeld because the
grade schools were becoming crowded. Registration now is more than